Monday, July 7, 2008

Hit and Run

For anyone that has been involved in an accident, you know that they can be terribly painful, and have traumatic results. Well, last Thursday, July 3rd, Jared was involved in a hit and run, literally. Our family went to our cabin in Utah for a "Wood" family reunion for the 4th of July. The second day of the trip, Jared and our brother-in-law Kimo decided to go on a first of many planned dirt bike rides. They packed up the bikes, got the maps, water, all the important necessities, and were on their way. I was in the house with Jared's sister Dana watching the kids when not even 10 minutes later, we heard a bike pull up to the house. I just assumed that either Jared or Kimo forgot something and came back to get whatever was forgotten. I walked out front and there was Jared hanging onto his dirt bike for dear life, yelling that an antelope had hit him. What? I immediately asked him if he was kidding, then as he took off his helmet and I saw his face in total agony, I knew he wasn't. Dana and I had to grab the bike as he had no strength left in him to hold it up as he tried to get off without collapsing. He kept saying an antelope had hit him. I looked at the bike and did not see too much damage, until I walked around on the other side and saw a huge chunk of antelope fur and blood hanging off the bike. Apparently, as they started out, Kimo was ahead of Jared, and they were about 2 miles from the house in a meadow when Jared saw an antelope running out the corner of his eye. He had about 2 seconds to react and tried to speed up to avoid hitting the antelope if it ran in front of him. Well, he wasn't fast enough and the antelope ended up T-boning the rear of the bike, it fish-tailed and Jared was thrown from the bike and landed in a ditch. He doesn't remember much, just spinning and then waking up in face first in the ditch. Since Kimo was ahead of Jared, and didn't realize this had happened, Jared had to get up and come back to the house all by himself. Luckily, there were two guys coming back from the same trail that found Jared in the ditch and helped pick his bike up. I ended up taking Jared to the Panguitch town emergency room, which was actually pretty nice for a small town ER. He ended up with two broken ribs in the front, one broken rib in his lower back, two other fractured ribs, and covered in bruises and road rash from his right shoulder all the way to his ankles. So the weekend of dirt bike and four wheeler riding was put to a halt, and he ended up sitting and sleeping the rest of the weekend. Luckily, the doctor gave him lots of good pain pills to help with the pain. ...... How random is this?

8 comments:

Nadine said...

Ouch! I hope you get well soon Jared! We spent the 3rd in the ER with a friend whose son was in a motorcycle accident and lacerated his liver up pretty bad. I'm glad your internals are okay and hope that those ribs and road rash heal up quick for you. It sounds extremely painful. I remember how much pain my mom was in with 2 broken ribs and none of the other stuff---GET WELL SOON! --- Nadine

Sylvia said...

What an experience! That would have been an amazing video if someone could have captured it on film. What a bummer it had to happen on the first ride out and not the last. I hope you will be able to heal quickly.

Danny and Michelle Zamora Family said...

OMG! I am so sorry. I can't imagine how you must have felt Jen. I am happy to hear that he will be okay. That is just one of those crazy things. I really just can't imagine..

Melissa said...

I can't believe that really happened. That is just so crazy. First the bees then this what's next? I'm glad Jared is okay, and hope he gets better soon.

David Fife said...

I am happy that Jared had a good sense of humor about it over the weekend :) Glad you got home safe (with the exception of the road construction or whatever in front of your house, mom told me). Let me know if you are coming up this week or not with all this going on. If you do, we should take the boys to the new pool I told you about.

Cassie

Laundry said...

OUCH!! Jared.. you are SO LUCKY to be alive right now.. holy hannah!
Glad my cousin is still alive too!!


-Londi

Alison said...

What the crap?! So sorry your weekend was wrecked by the antelope! Believe it or not, the same thing just happened to my next-door neighbor. At least he was in his truck though...

Michael said...

Crazy all the stuff happening in our family. We're glad the Jared is feeling okay.